Licensed Retailers and Installers

It is the buyer’s advantage to purchase a manufactured home from a retailer licensed by the state, and use an installer licensed by the state. Manufactured home retailers and installers must attend a 20-hour licensing education class and obtain the proper bonds and insurance to become state-licensed. Otherwise, the buyer risks having the home improperly installed. Faulty installation can result in unsafe conditions, structural deterioration, accelerated depreciation and higher utility costs. The bonding and insurance requirements protect you in the event that a licensed retailer or installer goes out of business before the warranty period expires. If you use a retailer or installer that is not licensed and that retailer or installer goes out of business, you will not be eligible to make warranty claims. For information about licensed retailers or installers in your area, contact California Department of Housing and Community Development.

Move-In Inspection

Thoroughly inspect your new home—inside and out—as soon as possible after you move in. In some cases, the manufacturer and/or retailer will provide you with a checklist to make this task easier. Make it a point to open and close all interior and exterior doors. Examine walls, floors and ceilings for damage, and verify that all windows, faucets, and appliances are in good working order. As a home owner, you typically have 60 days to give notice of problems. When consumers have problems with their manufactured home, they should provide written notice by certified mail to the retailer and manufacturer. If the consumer is not satisfied with the response from the retailer or manufacturer, the consumer can file a complaint with California Department of Housing and Community Development. (HCD)